Rules of the contest for the Institute De Republica Award for outstanding scientific achievements in the humanities, social sciences and arts
I. GENERAL PROVISIONS
- The Institute De Republica (hereinafter: the Institute) announces the annual contest for the Institute De Republica Award for outstanding scientific achievements in the humanities, social sciences and arts (hereinafter: the Contest).
- The organiser of the Contest is the Institute De Republica, with its register office in Warsaw, at 23 Belwederska Street, premises 1 (hereinafter: the Organiser).
- The Contest comprises three basic categories: humanities, social sciences and arts.
- The Contest comprises two special categories: for the overall scientific achievements as well as for international activities.
- The aim of the Contest is to support and promote the most talented young scholars who carry out research in the fields of humanities, social sciences and arts, as well as to recognise outstanding Polish scientists who, through their work, overall scientific achievements and international activities, are a source of inspiration for young generations.
- The Contest is held periodically, every calendar year.
II. PROCEDURE FOR SUBMITTING CANDIDATES
- The Contest is open to young scientists, i.e., people under the age of 40 who at an early stage of their career show potential to become leaders in their field (this applies to the three basic competition categories) and all scientists (without age limit) with significant scientific achievements (this applies to the two special competition categories).
- Candidates for the Contest may be submitted by: universities, basic organizational units of universities, research institutes, scientific units and scientific committees of the Polish Academy of Sciences (PAN), faculties or committees of the Polish Academy of Arts and Sciences (PAU), scientific associations as well as individuals.
- Each Applicant is entitled to nominate up to one candidate in each category. In the event that an Applicant submits more than one candidate in a given category, none of the candidates submitted in a given category will be taken into account in the assessment of the projects.
- Candidates for the Award may be persons having Polish citizenship, including those working abroad.
III. METHOD OF APPLICATION
- Candidates should be submitted via the online form available at iderepublica.pl (hereinafter: the Form).
- The Form should include: the name of the category in which the candidate is submitted, the applicant’s contact details as well as attachments (in scanned/PDF format):
- candidate application form – it should be signed by two persons, at least one of whom has the title of professor in the humanities, social sciences or arts (not necessarily from a single institution);
- justification (reasons) of the application;
- scientific curriculum vitae of the candidate;
- a list of the candidate’s scientific publications and other scientific achievements;
- candidate’s consent to participate in the Contest;
- consent to the processing of personal data.
- In the case of publications which have been published, one copy or a readable copy should be delivered to the Organiser’s registered office (at the address: ul. Belwederska 23 lok. 1, 00-761 Warszawa) with the annotation „Nagroda IDR”.
- The Organiser reserves the right not to return submitted materials.
- If a particular application is not complete (e.g., does not provide complete data) the Organiser may, at his/her discretion, call the Applicant to complete the missing data or disregard a particular application during the assessment. The decision of the Organiser is final.
- Applications will be accepted from 1 March to 31 May each calendar year.
- Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
IV. COURSE OF THE CONTEST
From the applications submitted each calendar year, the winners of the Competition in the respective category will be awarded:
- one person – in the humanities;
- one person – in the field of social sciences;
- one person – in the field of arts;
- one person – in the category: for overall scientific achievements in the field of humanities, social sciences or arts;
- one person – for international activity in the humanities, social sciences or arts.
The Director of the Institute shall establishe a prize, for each winner of the Contest, consisting of:
- a statuette;
- cash prize in the amount of PLN 10,000 net amount;
- the possibility of publishing one’s own publication in the Institute De Republica Publishing House (within 2 years from awarding the prize).
- The prize is awarded by the Contest Committee, which is appointed by the Director of the Institute in a separate act.
- The Contest Committee will consist of no more than 8 members who are qualified and distinguished by their knowledge in the fields of: history, law, philosophy, literature, culture, art, political science, sociology, as well as the Secretary of the Committee who is not entitled to vote.
- The responsibilities of the Contest Committee include:
- verification of the correctness, completeness and promptness of the Contest applications;
- substantive assessment of information included in the Contest applications;
- selecting the winners in each category of the Contest and awarding prizes.
- The Contest Committee performs a substantive assessment, guided by the role, importance and relevance of the conducted scientific research, including those confirmed by scientific publications in recognised scientific publishers and journals.
- A member of the Contest Committee is excluded from assessing applications with which he/she was involved during his/her professional activity (e.g., as a promoter, supervisor, etc.). A member of the Contest Committee is also excluded from assessing applications if the institutions where he/she is employed or with which he/she cooperates have published the candidate’s publications.
- The members of the Contest Committee are obliged to maintain the confidentiality of the information and data they acquired in connection with the performance of their tasks, with the exception of publicly available information.
- The Contest Committee takes decisions during a meeting, by voting. Minutes of the Contest Committee’s meeting are drawn up and signed by all members of the Committee.
- The Contest Committee shall meet no later than in June of the relevant calendar year.
- In a given calendar year, the Contest Committee may decide not to award a prize in a specific category.
- The decision of the Contest Committee is final and cannot be subject to appeal.
- The results of the Contest are announced in the period September-October of a given calendar year.
- Announcement of the results of the Contest and presentation of awards, takes place at a gala event which is organised by the Organiser.
V. FINAL PROVISIONS
- The present Rules shall be in force from the moment of their publication on the website – iderepublica.pl. The Organiser reserves the right to make changes to the Rules at any time. Amendments to the Rules are binding from the moment of their publication on the Organiser’s website.
- The Organiser shall not be liable for events preventing the Contest from taking place due to force majeure or causes beyond the Organiser’s control or circumstances for which the Organiser is not responsible or which cannot be avoided without incurring additional costs.
- The Organiser reserves the right to cancel the Contest without giving any reason. Participation in the Contest is tantamount to the acceptance of the Rules.
Information clause on the processing of personal data of participants in the Contest and persons submitting candidates for the Contest (RODO information clause)
Pursuant to Article 13(1) of the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) (Official Journal of the EU L 119 of 04.05.2016, p. 1, as amended), hereinafter: RODO, we inform that:
- The controller (hereinafter: the Administrator) of your personal data is the Institute De Republica with its registered office in Warsaw (00-761) at 23 Belwederska Street, premises 1.
- Contact to the Inspector of Data Protection at: ul. Belwederska 23 lok. 1, 00-761 Warszawa.
- Your personal data will be processed or the purpose of:
- organising and conducting the Contest for the Institute De Republica Award for outstanding scientific achievements in the humanities, social sciences and arts, (hereinafter: the Contest), including the selection of the winners – on the basis of Article 6(1)(e) of the RODO – such processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest in connection with the fulfilment of statutory tasks;
- fulfilling a legal obligation incumbent on the Administrator, in particular connected with the archiving of documentation – on the basis of Article 6(1)(c) of the RODO in conjunction with the Act of 14 July 1983 on the national archival resource and archives;
- documentation and promotion of the Contest – on the basis of a given consent.
- The Administrator will process the following categories of personal data: your first name, surname, telephone number, email address.
- The recipients of your personal data will be members of the Contest Committee, partners providing technical and IT services to the Administrator, institutions authorised by law as well as institutions under binding agreements (e.g., for the purpose of accounting for public funds). The data recipient will also be the prize funder “The Institute De Republica” with its registered office in Warsaw.
- Your personal data will be processed for the time necessary to fulfil the purpose for which it was collected. The storage period will result from the legal provisions on archiving, the office and archiving instructions on the basis of the Uniform Record Book in force at the Institute – for a period of 5 full years from the end of the Contest in a given edition (in the case of materials being the Contest documentation).
- You may request the Administrator to access, rectify and delete your data. You have the right to object to and restrict data processing. The scope of each of the aforementioned rights and the situations in which you can exercise them result from the provisions of law.
- If you have given your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your data at any time, which does not affect the legality of the processing carried out on the basis of your consent before its withdrawal.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint to the President of the Personal Data Protection Office (UODO) if you consider that the processing of your personal data violates the provisions of the RODO.
- The provision of your personal data is necessary for you to participate in the Contest and thus to achieve the objectives referred to in point 3. The provision of personal data to achieve the objectives referred to in point 3 of this clause is voluntary.
- Your personal data will not be used for profiling or automated decision-making in respect of you.